The Millard J. and Robert L. Heath Award, named in honor of the combined service and exemplary stewardship of Millard J. and Robert L. Heath, former DCMS chief executive officers, recognizes and honors a layperson who has provided outstanding leadership and service to medicine and to the community of Dallas. Read More: https://www.cureglaucoma.org/wp-content/uploads/Cure-Glaucoma-Fund-Steve-Love-Award-Announcement.pdf
Last month, November 7, 2020, marks the 1 year anniversary of the day we all gathered in the photo above in Ijebu to perform your hands-on surgical training.
At this point,
- All surgeons are certified, with one of them being a master trainer herself.
- All scrub techs are certified
- All surgeon/ techs have performed additional cases
- A new class of 18 trainees from 2 countries are identified and currently in training.
- We have 7 additional glaucoma specialist join us as trainers. With our 1st generation surgeons to join us at the 2nd surgical training event. They will be the future trainers in Nigeria.
- Four 2nd generation surgeons are receiving mentorship and 3 have performed case/s and are in the new class of trainees
- 3 surgeons have ordered additional implants from the NWM program.
- 1 Poster presentation at the West African College of Surgeons Annual meeting February 2020.
- All patients in the pilot who had surgery still have their implants except one that was explanted due to plate exposure. (results to follow).
- Tube shunt surgery has gone from a surgery done by only 2-3 surgeons in Nigeria (Popn 170M) to one that is available in 3X as many more capable hands.
To EVERYONE who has participated in the process in various ways, Thank you for staying the course and for all you have done. We are thankful to the Eye foundation hospital and it’s staff for partnering with us on this pilot.
As Dr. Lola Idowu would say, ”We did it”, I would want to add “ Together!”.
Indeed, Never say Never.
Dr. Tosin Smith
- New World Medical
- Eye Foundation Hospital, Lagos. Nigeria
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Cure Glaucoma Foundation and it’s supportive donors.